BACT/ALERT® Central Line Draw
This video describes the steps needed to collect and inoculate BACT/ALERT blood culture bottles using a Central Line draw procedure.
- Have all the necessary supplies within reach
- Identify the patient
- Disinfect the Central Line port as recommended by your facility’s approved procedure.
- Inspect bottles, mark the fill volumes and remove the flip-top and clean the septum
- Aspirate 3ml of blood and discard
- Aspirate the appropriate amount of blood with a new syringe.
- Attach the safety transfer device to the syringe.
- Inoculate the anaerobic bottle first, then the aerobic and finally any addition tubes if required.
- Discard the transfer device and syringe into a sharps container.
- Invert the bottles 3-5 times
- Label with patient information
- Place bottles and tubes into a biohazard bag and transport to the lab.
Let's get started!