BacT/ALERT® Bottle Blood Collection: Direct Draw Method
This video describes the steps needed to collect and inoculate BacT/ALERT® blood culture bottles using the direct draw procedure.
- Have all the necessary supplies within reach
- Identify the patient
- Select and clean the venipuncture site
- Inspect bottles, mark the fill volumes and remove the flip-top and clean the septum
- Assemble the winged collection set
- Perform the venipuncture
- Collect the Aerobic bottle first, then the Anaerobic bottle and finally any additional tubes if required.
- Hold a gauze over the puncture site and remove the needle from the vein. Activate the safety device and discard the butterfly set into a sharps container.
- Invert the bottles 3-5 times
- Label with patient information
- Bandage patient arm
- Place bottles and tubes into a biohazard bag and transport to the lab.
Let's get started!