BacT/ALERT® Syringe Draw
This video describes the steps needed to collect and inoculate BacT/ALERT blood culture bottles using the Syringe draw procedure.
- Have all the necessary supplies within reach
- Identify the patient
- Select and clean the venipuncture site
- Inspect bottles, mark the fill volumes, remove the flip-top and clean the septum
- Assemble the syringe and safety needle device
- Perform the venipuncture
- Aspirate the appropriate amount of blood.
- Place a gauze over the puncture site and withdraw the needle from the vein. Activate the safety device, remove the needle from the syringe and discard it into a sharps container.
- Attach the safety transfer device to the syringe.
- Inoculate the anaerobic bottle first, then the aerobic and finally any additional tubes if required.
- Discard the transfer device and syringe into a sharps container.
- Invert the bottles 3-5 times
- Label with patient information
- Bandage patient arm
- Place bottles and tubes into a biohazard bag and transport to the lab.
Let's get started!